List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Next Release
From:       <jfweber () bellsouth ! net>
Date:       2003-02-19 20:31:56

** Reply to message from Doug McGarrett <dougmack@i-2000.com> on Tue, 18 Feb
2003 20:43:36 -0500

> If you have been reading this newsletter, or whatever it is,
> you would know that 8.1 was/is a dog and 8.0 was fairly stable.
> Who knows what the next version will be--I would stay with
> whatever works until the fallout occurs.  -doug

although I'm the one that buys the thing as soon as it's announced;often
before it's released, that is usually because I have specific hardware needs
on the testbed that usually are resolved by the *next* version ... of course
everyone knows the "next version of anything is supposed to be better than
the last one." <G>

However I do agree w/ Doug on the main portion of his argument , if you do
not have a testbed to play w/ ,poke at, and perhaps restore the old version
to get it running again, don't be the first on the block, it's that simple.

On the home net and the places I manage they are using 8.0 and will until
they don't have any more updates , I suppose.

IIRC there were some listers still using 6.x versions when 8.0 came out..
and they were happy w/ that.  I get most of my updates because I need the
newer solutions for the test bed.. Also , I haven't had any trouble w/ 8.1
barring the fact that I needed to wait 3 weeks or so before some of the
updates that were available in Europe got put on the SuSE(.com) site in the
states.
And I'm not entirely happy w/ the way it fails to keep records, of what it
updates, sometimes... ( dunno why that is, but the automatic update and the
manual one don't seem to play nicely together..) And it's sloooow to load
the list of what's available... but if you are only doing one box you can
make it work w/ only minor problems.

Personally , I wouldn't want a network that I had to do anything, let alone
everything, automagically , unless I knew each of the things that would be
updated.. IT doesn't show a nice list as the yast2 updater in 8.0 did ..
you have to dig thru the logs .. Not hard if it's your job, a bit of a
problem for a casual user , perhaps . ( esp if you don't have access to them
<G> )

the linux world is fast moving these days, and it must be hard for
small(ish) companies to stay up w/ everything and get it all plonked into a
box, manuals printed.. ( yeah , I  know *real* linux users don't read ....
manuals. sue me , I was at Art College, we learned to read ... )

And there is a lot of time in my life when I'd be bored stiff if I didn't
have something tech to read. Started back in the earliest computer days ,
tubes and breadboards , and reams and reams  of paper. Whole floors
dedicated to THE computer .. and umpteen tons of air condiditioning...

Any old NORAD guys here? <G>

afterthought: It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.