List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Next Release
From:       Paul Mooney <mooney () cytanet ! com ! cy>
Date:       2003-02-19 10:00:11

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 22:59, John LeMay wrote:
> > As I've been using(?) 8.1 for a month now - I bloody wish I had
>
> Why? What is going to be in 8.2 (presumably) that makes it worth
> upgrading? Sure, maybe if you are running 7.x or earlier and want some
> newer "stuff" it makes sense. It also makes sense if you have a
> stability issue - say with 8.0 (not that I know of any issues with 8.0,
> but "point-oh" releases tend to be a bit more flakey than "point-one" or
> higher releases) or something.
>
> I'm really not trolling here, but I just don't see the point in hassling
> one's self about upgrading their OS every six months. Honestly, even MS
> doesn't do that. Sure, if you get a new box install the latest you have
> handy. But if you have a functioning machine and you aren't going
> through "rpm-hell" trying to install the latest version of <insert
> favorite package name here>, why bother? Most of the time you end up
> creating problems you didn't have previously.
>
> Just my two cents.

I fully agree, unfortunately a typo slipped in, my message was intended to
read:

"As I've been using (?) 8.1 for a month now, and I bloody wish I hadn't."

I haven't been able to get it to read from my CD-R, despite making links to
everything in sight (hdc, sr0, scda, etc) most of which tell me that /dev/*
is not a valid device.

In desperation I removed my DVD drive & it's SCSI card from the box and
re-installed (I know, I should have worked it out but by this time I was
pulling my hair out). Installed from CD1, won't recognise drive for CD 2 to
continue installing. Once again trawled SuSE databases & SLE archives, then
contacted SuSE support who have repeated what I had already found (last
message was how to get ide-scsi working for recording, when what I really
want first is to read). THEN I will have to face the problem of playing
re-installing my DVD with subsequest changes in addresses.

On a brighter note I did manage to find the info to get windows on my 2nd
drive working (after I screwed up by mount Grub on hda1 - seemed the obvios
place at the time, and one or two minor problems.

I made the comment that I had been using SuSE, with some updates, since 5.2
and had not been obliged to contact them for support before, asking when
problems such as mine and others reported on this (and other) lists would be
fixed and they responded with "the next release".