List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] 3.1 & System Sounds
From:       David Herman <mesamoo115 () attbi ! com>
Date:       2003-02-14 7:52:20

On Thursday 13 February 2003 08:49 pm, Bob S. wrote:
> On Thursday 13 February 2003 02:11, David Herman wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 February 2003 08:44 pm, Bob S. wrote:
> > ---------snip----------
> > 	kcontrolcenter->Regional&Accessibility->Accessibility->Bell
> >
> > There is another checkbox "Use custom bell". If this is checked but
> > no sound is selected then you get no sound no matter what you
> > select in the sounds&multimedia section!
> >
> > My suggestion is that if selecting one of these doesn't fix your
> > problem right off the bat then try checking each box, apply the
> > change, then uncheck and apply. Then go back and try setting up
> > your system sounds again.
>
> Thanks for replying, again. Glad you got yours working. I cannot.
> Tried every possible combination as you described. No go. Tell me,
> when you "click" on the little arrow button, does that play the
> selected sound?

Yes it does, (but my problem was mainly w/ thesystem bell not giving
audible output.)
----snip----
> Do me a favor please. In the interest of trying to solve this problem
> I went to the more options section and tried to utilize the"message"
> option and the "execute a progam" option. Neither of these will work
> either so it is probably not just a sound problem. Will you try that
> and let me know?  Something wrong with the Control Center I think.

Yes both of these worked for me as well. (This certainly will be handy
if I want to run gimp every time I open a new window 8-)

So it seems that your whole notification system is failing you (except
maybe system bell).

Have you tried setting up another user for testing? It seems like this
might be a way to find out if there is a problem with your whole system
versus just something specific to your user login
(in /home/yourName/.kde)

I remember some mails about files in /var that people needed to delete
after upgrading to kde3.1, don't know if that could be related

As I was getting ready to send this it occured to me that when I run
ksystemguard (kmenu ->System->KDE SystemGuard) and view the process
table I almost always see a command named knotify. (found in the rpm's
kdebase3, kdelibs3, kde2-compat)
I tried "man knotify" and suseHelpcenter but found no information. it
seems a suspicious coincidence...

The files
~/.kde/share/config/knotify.eventsrc
~/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc