List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] How to shut off IPv6 in 8.1?
From:       Graham Murray <graham () gmurray ! org ! uk>
Date:       2003-02-03 22:44:37

"Barry Michels" <bmichels@intellimation.cc> writes:

> SuSE is really nice, but there's 2 things that I've come across
> that's very annoying.  First, I told it during install not to format
> my home partition.  Apparrently, it didn't, but it did touch it
> somehow and I lost about 40GB of stuff.  Second, it defaulted to
> IPv6.  Really stupid...

[Asbestos suit on] Actually I would say that not only does SuSE 8.1
default to IPv6 but that support for IPv6 is rather 'patchy'. There is
no (or at least I have been unable to find it) support for setting up
IPv6 addressing, tunnels or routing [1]using the /etc/sysconfig/net/* and
/etc/init.d configuration and scripts. The only IPv6 configuration I
could find are that some IPv6 addresses are set in /etc/hosts and
the radvd dæmon (which has to be manually configured) is
supplied. Some, but not all[2], of the applications and dæmons will use
or listen on IPv6 if it is configured.

[1] I know that in theory IPv6 is meant to be more 'self configuring'
than IPv4, but as most ISPs do not provide 'native' IPv6 connections
it is necessary for most customers to set up a tunnel (GRE, sit etc)
over IPv4 in order to use IPv6.

[2] Including those such as sendmail which are supposed to be IPv6
enabled but SuSE have built without IPv6 support. Though it only took
the addition of 2 lines to one of the patches[3] in the SuSE sendmail
src.rpm to enable IPv6 support.

[3] In case anyone is interested, adding the line
+appdef(`confENVDEF', `-DNETINET6')
to the patch creating devtools/Site/site.config.m4
and adding a DAEMON_OPTIONS(\`Family=inet6') to SuSEconfig.sendmail.