List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] a (probably) simple SCSI question
From:       Steve Miller <doctor_clyde () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2003-02-03 22:29:18

All,

I am at wit's end here....

I have an Advansys SCSI adapter card inserted into a
PCI slot on a SuSE 8.1 machine. The card is said to be
fully supported in the hardware database. The card
shows up in the YaST hardware information section
(under PCI, but *NOT* SCSI, where only the CDRW
appears). The module advansys.o exists (and I have
even added it to the INTITRD_MODULES. This changes
nothing, even on reboot.)

scsiinfo -i /dev/sg0 shows info consistent with a
CDRW, but ... /dev/sg1 shows nothing.

In short, the card is supported and the system knows
it's there (and what it is). How do I get the bloody
thing to be recognized as /dev/sg1? This is not being
used for a scanner, but for a data acquisition board,
which is plugged into the card via its included cable,
turned on, and whose SCSI termination switch is in the
"ON" position.

This card was installed today, replacing the SCSI card
that had earlier inhabited the same PCI slot.

Thanks,

Steve Miller