List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    RE: [SLE] How to upgrade from 7.3 to 8.1
From:       "Alleman, Lowell" <lowella () MFPS ! COM>
Date:       2003-02-03 21:49:14

Sounds very similar to what happened to me:  I forgot to mount /usr one
time, and on a separate upgrade I ran out of space on the /opt partition.
The backup made it easy:  I restored, expanded /opt, tried the upgrade
again, and everything worked from there.

BTW:  I love LVM!! (I even use it on my Laptop.)  I can expand my ReiserFS
partitions in seconds by typing just two (fairly) simple commands!!

Yeah, YaST doesn't warn you about this.  I don't really 'blame' YaST anymore
though, because I think this the problem comes down to the fact that RPM
can't report size based on location.  (I could be wrong about this..)  I
think that RPM reports a single install size and that's it... so there is
know what of knowing how much space is needed on each partition before the
install (and it would be even more troublesome to calculate this value for
an upgrade).

- Lowell