List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] apt-get KDE3.1 with KDE3.0.5 running?
From:       Ben Rosenberg <ben () whack ! org>
Date:       2003-02-02 20:50:21

* Kevin McLauchlan (kevinmcl@magma.ca) [030202 12:43]:
->Is it legal/safe to run synaptic (or apt-get) to upgrade KDE while
->KDE3.0.5 is running?
->
->Or must I go to a text login (or maybe GNOME...) before invoking apt-get ?

Sure. You can be running KDE while updating via synaptic. But why not
just shutdown KDM and use apt's commandline? All you have to do is log
out of KDE and shutdown KDM. Then log in at a prompt and type this as
root.

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

It will show you what's going to be updated and you just type Y. Pretty
simple. :)

I would also get rid of all KDE related stuff out of /tmp and remove
.mcop* out of your home directory. Also don't forget to remove the 2 tmp
files in the .kde directory in your home directory. This is always a
good idea when upgrading KDE. It gets rather cranky about previous
version tmp files.

Cheers!
--
Ben Rosenberg  ---===---===---===---  mailto:ben@whack.org