List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    RE: [SLE] How to upgrade from 7.3 to 8.1
From:       "Alleman, Lowell" <lowella () MFPS ! COM>
Date:       2003-01-31 22:28:52

SuSE recommends that you upgrade to 8.0 first.  If you don't have a copy of
it, then that makes matter more complicated.  A clean install is always
best, but that can be a pain.

It all comes down to how much you customized your install of 7.3.  If you
only use it for desktop stuff, you might get away with just keeping your
/home and /root and replacing everything else, but if your on a network and
your box is setup as a file/print or web server then you definatly can't get
away with dumping your configuration files.

If you could provide more details I'd be more than happy to offer additional
suggestions.  Things that would be helpful to know:  How much Linux
experience do you have?  How much time do you want to spend on this upgrade?
How many people are effected by this machine and how important is it? ...

I have a machine at home that has been upgraded from 7.2 -> 7.3 -> 8.0 ->
8.1, and it appears to be working fine.  On my personal machine, I decided
to do a fresh install at version 8.0, since there was a big change in the
/etc layout (e.g. the 'plumbing' changes mentioned earlier).

Oh, make sure that you do a FULL SYSTEM BACKUP, before you start the
upgrade.  This has saved by butt on a number of occasions... believe it or
not,  most installers just can't cope once you run out of disk space...lol,
I'd call myself an experienced computer user, but I've fallen into this
several times...

Hope that helps,

- Lowell