List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] APT vs YOU -- redoux   :o)
From:       Richard Bos <allabos () freeler ! nl>
Date:       2003-01-30 22:05:21

Wow Peter,

that are many questions.

Op donderdag 30 januari 2003 19:50, schreef Peter B Van Campen:
> So in light of this news I think it is time to look at APT again. My
> impression of APT is that it is a tool of greater depth and ability.

Nice.

> What is the SuSE stand on APT?

Suse's official stand is focussed on yast/you.  Actually suse had the
oppertunity to introduce apt last year, but at that moment suse came up with
YPM (yast package manager).  The reason that apt won't be used/supported by
suse might be due to its flexibility.  With ypm suse is better able to
control what the user may do.  Which is good if the user is just an average
user, but it may feel like a jail if one wants to do more with its system.
Another reason is probably better internationalization suppport by ypm, which
is of course very important.
One more reason is that suse wants to support 1 online update tool only.  (hmm
by using oss (being apt), there might be less support effort needed).  APT is
used by 2 of suse's united linux partners: conectiva and sco.  Actually
conectiva maintains apt-rpm.  Further more apt is used by some other rpms
based distro's.
I've once be told that ypm/yast may have a plugin possibility.  Perhaps this
is true and one can provide an apt plugin for ypm, who knows?

> Do the APT repositories contain official packages,(blessed by SuSE)?
Yes, it does (the apt components base, update, security, kde, kde3-stable,
some more, are just providing the SuSE rpms nothing more nothing less (just
follow the links I would say).  There are however other components that
provide other stuff.  Some are easy to recognize by their prefix "suser" =
suse users, others are more difficult to recognize: "extra", "packman*",
"funktronics", "usr-local-bin", "suse-people", etc.

> How does APT achieve the level of package integration that we expected from
> YOU?
The idea is: an rpm keeps all information about itself, e.g. which rpms it
requires and provides.  APT builds at the server databases with this
information, containing rpm (text) info, files (libraries) info, dependency
info, etc.  The databases are than retrieved by the (client) user.  The apt
client is now able to overlook _all_ available information about the rpms.
And the client uses that info to determine which packages to install or to
remove.  A nice thing of apt is that the apt repositories  may be distributed
over many servers, starting with your local system, via an intranet to the
servers that can be reached via the internet.  There are some tools out there
(eg apt4rpm) that assist you in creating an apt repository.
One major goal of apt is to keep the dependency relations among the installed
rpms consistent.  So if you tell apt to remove qt3 it will do so, including
all packages that depend on it (being all kde and yast packages).

> Does SuSE offer a SuSE APT?
You mean an apt repository?  No.  SuSE provides the rpms, that are turned into
an apt repository.

> When SuSE issues bugfixes or security fixes via YOU will YOU 'know' about
> APT installed or updated apps? Will YAST2 'install or remove' app know about
> and handle APT installed stuff?

YOU and apt are both using the rpm database to store which packages have been
installed.  So, the answer is basically yes.  However, it seems that you/ypm
holds it own internal db as well, therefor ypm tells/advises you sometimes to
remove/re-install rpms.  The latter may be rpms that have been installed via
apt, gnorpm, kpackage, just rpm on the command line....

Long story, I hope it provides all the info you're looking for.  If not post
the questions after reading: http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless