List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Recommendations for network card and ADSL modem
From:       Stephen Allewell <stephen () mirramar ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-01-17 22:25:32

Peter John Cameron wrote:

>After nearly three weeks of trying, I've given up with the alcatel
>speedtouch modem. Short of throwing it out the window, I can't do anything
>with it other than initialise it. I tried PPPoA and got nothing beyond LCP
>timeouts. I tried PPPoE (with a downloaded br2684ctl) and though I get
>"ifconfig nas0" returning an ethernet address etc., the "pppd nas0 &" call
>complains about nas0 being unknown. Ho hum. I give up.
>
>I'd like some recommendations for a decent external ADSL modem (or router)
>plus network card. I only have a standalone PC at home. There are plans for
>a network but that probably won't happen this year.
>
>For any UK-ers, I'm in Surrey so I'd also be interested in knowing where I
>could walk in and buy the equipment (I try to avoid PC World if at all
>possible).
>
>cheers,
>Peter

Peter

I assume your refering to the USB Speedtouch modem.  I have the same,
using PPPoA.  There have been various threads on this list about getting
it to work.  The LCP timeouts occur when the modem hasn't been
initialised correctly.  How are you loading the firmware?  This setup
does work, and works well.  Are you using the SuSE setup or the
SourceForge one?

Steve