List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] Recommendations for network card and ADSL modem
From:       "Peter John Cameron" <peterca () ukgateway ! net>
Date:       2003-01-17 21:48:37

After nearly three weeks of trying, I've given up with the alcatel
speedtouch modem. Short of throwing it out the window, I can't do anything
with it other than initialise it. I tried PPPoA and got nothing beyond LCP
timeouts. I tried PPPoE (with a downloaded br2684ctl) and though I get
"ifconfig nas0" returning an ethernet address etc., the "pppd nas0 &" call
complains about nas0 being unknown. Ho hum. I give up.

I'd like some recommendations for a decent external ADSL modem (or router)
plus network card. I only have a standalone PC at home. There are plans for
a network but that probably won't happen this year.

For any UK-ers, I'm in Surrey so I'd also be interested in knowing where I
could walk in and buy the equipment (I try to avoid PC World if at all
possible).

cheers,
Peter