List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    [SLE] modem problem
From:       Jerome Lyles <susemail () hawaii ! rr ! com>
Date:       2003-01-17 9:59:15

Hello,

My modem is not working properly anymore.  When I try to use the yast modem
module the module freezes on 'detecting devices'.  I am using suse 8.1.
Here is what I have learned:

To: FaxMaster@orion.local
From: The HylaFAX Receive Agent <fax@orion.local>
Subject: modem on /dev/modem appears wedged
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:35:20 -0800 (PST)

The HylaFAX software thinks that there is a problem with the modem
on device /dev/modem that needs attention; repeated attempts to
initialize the modem have failed.
---------------------------------
orion:~ # probemodem

Serial port that modem is connected to []? ttyS4

Now we are going to probe the tty port.  This takes a few seconds,
so be patient.  Note that if you do not have the modem cabled to
the port, or the modem is turned off, this may hang (just go and
cable up the modem or turn it on, or whatever).

Probing for best speed to talk to modem: 38400 19200 9600 4800 2400 1200
Unable to deduce DTE-DCE speed; check that you are using the
correct device and/or that your modem is setup properly.  If
all else fails, try the -s option to lock the speed.
-------------------------
orion:~ # cu -l ttyS4
cu: creat (/var/lock/TMP0000004375): Permission denied
cu: ttyS4: Line in use
My kinternet configuration file parameter:' device' has the value: /dev/modem;
I think this should be /dev/ttyS4 but I can't use yast to change it because
it freezes 'detecting devices'.

I need help getting my modem and yast modem module back on line.
Thanks
Jerome