List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] The Latest Software
From:       Richard Bos <allabos () freeler ! nl>
Date:       2003-01-13 18:14:34

Op maandag 13 januari 2003 15:09, schreef James.Rocks@equant.com:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to download the latest version of specific software, in this
> case Samba and I'd rather have a SuSE-ised version than not. SuSE 8.0 comes
> with v2.2.3a (I think) but v2.27a is availble at Samba.Org .. I would have
> thought a later version than came with my distribution would be avilable at
> SuSE but all I can find is a security patch for 2.2.3a. Is there a place to
> go to get SuSE-ised software coz I find site navigation for d/load
> confusing.

Get the file: contlist.bz2 (content list) from:
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/8.1-i386/base/

It provides the contents of the packages in:
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/8.1-i386/

If you would search samba as follows;
$ zgrep ^samba\; contlist.bz2  | grep -v src

You would see that the newest (susefied) samba rpm has version 2.2.5a
Which is not the one you want and it is for 8.1

The same file (contlist.bz2) is present for 8.0 at:
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/apt/SuSE/8.0-i386/base/

For people familair with the file ARCHIVES.gz;
the contlist file has the same functionality, but for a different repository
=> more actual

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless