List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Alcatel speedtouch modem and Suse 8.1
From:       Stephen Allewell <stephen () mirramar ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-01-10 21:52:19

Peter John Cameron wrote:

>Has anyone managed to get the Alcatel USB speedtouch modem working with Suse
>8.1? I got it recognised on bootup and the speedmgmt daemon started and the
>modem initialised (although in the last half hour with my messing about,
>this now doesn't happen). In all cases when I connect I just get LCP
>timeouts. I seem to be going round in circles trying various howtos,
>starting the connection manually with a script or with kinternet. In all
>cases the modem sends out packets but nothing is ever received. Lately, with
>kinternet, the entire system hangs, with the keyboard lights flashing on and
>off. I've tried the procedure on the Suse web site (modifying the speedtouch
>config file) but to no avail.
>
>My broadband ISP is Tiscali in the UK.
>
>Perhaps I've messed up the PPP and/or hotplug files. I'm having to connect
>my old 56K USB modem to download email which is a pain.
>
>Any help and/or configuration files appreciated :)
>
>Cheers,
>Peter

Peter

I use the Alcatel speedtouch with Pipex in the UK.  I also found
problems when setting up using the SuSE instructions, so went back to
using the sourceforge speedtouch drivers.  An init.d script runs at boot
time to initialise the modem and make the connection.  Runs fine all day.

Regards
Steve