List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] software removal question
From:       Ole Kofoed Hansen <ole () sandbox ! adsl ! dk>
Date:       2002-12-16 14:54:25

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, p p wrote:

> To extend this issue. What if I have installed something from source
> files by doing:
>
> ./configure
> make
> and then as root
> make install.
>

> usually installing scripts then install software on some default place
> (often /usr/local/bin) or somerhing similar.
>
> Can these files be just deleted / shredded to uninstall program, or is
> there some other tasks to be completed also.

Yes, if you manually delete all files related to the program, it is
uninstalled.

However, sometimes the installation routines also modify or create
configuration files, which have to be removed or edited back into their
former state, or other stuff might break because they still expect the
program t be there.

Many source packages have a make uninstall for doing just this. Else you
should look through the Makefile to see what make install really does to
make sure that you undo all of it.

Regards

Ole