List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] PCMCIA Card and SuSE 8.0
From:       dids <richard () diddyland ! com>
Date:       2002-05-04 10:35:43

Well I have an orinoco-silver wireless

I read the info in the unofficial suse faq and got it going
however I am using the USE_SUSE_NETWORK_SETUP=yes
which is different to the faq

Have you had you pc-card working in a previous installation of linux/suse ?

You need to make sure that /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia has the correct options for
you, I have to exclude certain interrupts in
PCMCIA_PCIC_OPTS="irq_list=10,11,12,13" for my setup.
I have set the PCMCIA_SYSTEM to "kernel" the default.

Then I had to go into /etc/pcmcia and I think yast set network.opts to the
following ...
( I think yast may have done this for me )

USE_SUSE_NETWORK_SETUP=yes                                                            \

                                                                                      \
 # !!! NEW !!! NEW !!! NEW !!! NEW !!! NEW !!! NEW !!! NEW !!!                        \

                                                                                      \
 case "$ADDRESS" in                                                                   \

*,*,*,*)                                                                              \
  INFO="Sample private network setup"                                                 \
  # Transceiver selection, for some cards -- see 'man ifport'                         \
  IF_PORT=""                                                                          \
  # Use BOOTP (via /sbin/bootpc, or /sbin/pump)? [y/n]                                \
  BOOTP="n"                                                                           \
  # Use DHCP (via /sbin/dhcpcd, /sbin/dhclient, or /sbin/pump)? [y/n]                 \
  DHCP="n"                                                                            \
  # If you need to explicitly specify a hostname for DHCP requests                    \
  DHCP_HOSTNAME=""                                                                    \
  # Host's IP address, netmask, network address, broadcast address                    \
  IPADDR=""                                                                           \
  NETMASK="255.255.255.0"                                                             \
  NETWORK="192.168.0.2"                                                               \
  BROADCAST="192.168.0.255"                                                           \
  # Gateway address for static routing                                                \
  GATEWAY="192.168.0.98"                                                              \
  # Things to add to /etc/resolv.conf for this interface                              \
  DOMAIN="diddyland.top"                                                              \
  SEARCH=""                                                                           \
  DNS_1="192.168.0.98"                                                                \
  DNS_2=""                                                                            \
  DNS_3=""                                                                            \
  # NFS mounts, should be listed in /etc/fstab                                        \
  MOUNTS=""                                                                           \
  # If you need to override the interface's MTU...                                    \
  MTU=""                                                                              \
  # For IPX interfaces, the frame type and network number                             \
  IPX_FRAME=""                                                                        \
  IPX_NETNUM=""                                                                       \
  # Extra stuff to do after setting up the interface                                  \
  start_fn () { return; }                                                             \
  # Extra stuff to do before shutting down the interface                              \
  stop_fn () { return; }                                                              \
  # Card eject policy options

As Im using wireless I also had to edit the wireless.opts file
and also the wlan_ng.conf file as described in the faq.

you may need to look at /var/log/messages to see what the pc-card is doing

dids