List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Modem Problem
From:       Robert Wohlfarth <rjwohlfar () galaxyinternet ! net>
Date:       2002-05-02 2:11:52

On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 16:49, Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. wrote:
> 've reinstalled SuSE 7.1/ KDE3.0 on one of my machines and am having a bit
> of a problem. When I dial out the modem connects without any problems and
> maintains the connection. I can ping (in a terminal) with no packet loss.
> Unfortunately, none of the applications, Netscape, etc. seem to find the
> connection.

I had a similar problem once. Somehow a PPP device was not properly shut
down. Dialing out created a second PPP device. But other software was
still trying to use the first (now defunct) one.

To check:
1) Hang up the modem.
2) Log into an xterm (or other console) as root.
3) Type in the command 'ifconfig' (without the quotes).
4) Look for entry beginning with "ppp" (i.e. "ppp0"). Entry names are
along the left hand side.

If you see an entry such as "ppp0", enter the command following in the
root session 'ifconfig ppp0 down'. Replace "ppp0" with the entry name.

I hope that helps.

--
Robert Wohlfarth
rjwohlfar@galaxyinternet.net

"Is not life more important than food, and the body more
important than clothes?" -- Matthew 6:25b