List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] ADSL: Alcatel Speedtouch
From:       Derek Fountain <fountai () hursley ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-04-10 7:48:39

> Well in 7.2+ 2/3rds of the how-to is already done, so no patching and
> recompiling of the kernel is needed.  It was litually just installing the
> driver and making a few minor changes in a couple of scripts.

Fair point. I was working on a 7.1 system, and I wasn't sure which bits were
already done for me by SuSE.

> > Fortunately - or unfortunately depending on your viewpoint - the driver
> > doesn't work on SMP machines, and as that's all he has,
>
> Thats a USB issue AFAIK, USB does not 'wok right' with Windows either.
> USB2 was meant to address that, but has introduced a number of security
> issues.

Actually I went to the link at sourceforge you gave and found a totally
different thing to what I was using. I must have been working with the more
complex "kernel module" version it talks about. Also, having checked the
appropriate list's archives, it does seem that the "user space" version
you're using is OK with SMP systems. Perhaps I was a bit premature there...

> I had it running under Windows for the best part of a year, and I averaged
> 3-4 days uptime, under Linux I am managing about 25-30 days.  It also seams
> faster, but I am not sure what utility I should use for measuring my
> connection speed.

Only 3-4 weeks under Linux? That's pretty poor actually! Do you have any
reason to believe that this unreliability is being caused by the modem driver?

The real reason my friend wanted a Linux machine doing the connection work
was for security. I told him to take an old P166 machine he has and put it
between his Windows gateway (with the modem) and his internal network. The
Windows box will still be vunerable, but having a Linux firewall in there
will at least protect his network's data...

--
  8:38am  up 35 days, 17:03,  2 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.10, 0.05