List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] ADSL: Alcatel Speedtouch
From:       Phil Shrimpton <phil () shrimpton ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-04-09 23:15:43

On Tuesday 09 April 2002 14:13, Derek Fountain wrote:

Hi,

> > Oh yes there are....  http://speedtouch.sourceforge.net
> >
> > Yes.  Took less than an hour on SuSE 7.2 with the how-to and drivers from
> > above URL.
>
> I looked at that lot on behalf of a friend. It made seriously horrible
> reading - I'm suprised you got it together so quickly.

Well in 7.2+ 2/3rds of the how-to is already done, so no patching and
recompiling of the kernel is needed.  It was litually just installing the
driver and making a few minor changes in a couple of scripts.

> Fortunately - or unfortunately depending on your viewpoint - the driver
> doesn't work on SMP machines, and as that's all he has,

Thats a USB issue AFAIK, USB does not 'wok right' with Windows either.  USB2
was meant to address that, but has introduced a number of security issues.

> I didn't actually
> have to bother. He uses it from Windows, which would worry me if it was
> mine, but it ain't, so it don't. ;o)

I had it running under Windows for the best part of a year, and I averaged
3-4 days uptime, under Linux I am managing about 25-30 days.  It also seams
faster, but I am not sure what utility I should use for measuring my
connection speed.

Phil

--
Linux 2.4.4-4GB
 10:59pm  up  9:24,  1 user,  load average: 0.33, 0.26, 0.11