List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Apple Personal LaserWriter NT on SuSE 7.3?
From:       Juergen Braukmann <juergen.braukmann () ruhr-west ! de>
Date:       2002-03-17 19:32:51

Brian Durant schrieb:

Hi Brian,

> Does SuSE have driver support for Apple laser printers? I have an Apple
> Personal LawerWriter NT that I would like to continue to use until it
> dies. I have a cable that originally came with an early version of
> DataViz' Conversions Plus Deluxe (WIN). It is a two part cable. The one
> part looks like an Apple serial cable at the one end and a 25 pin male
> (parallel?) at the other end. The second part is a 25 pin female

It's likely to be a serial connector. As Tom said, you need to set it up
as serial. I used to have one of these (The very old laserwriter) that
would do either serial or appletalk.
The fun part is, that it won't autosync to the speed you talk to it. It
neither would print garbage to tell you there is something wrong with
the serial setting. as long as it receives serial garbage, it blinks but
stais silent.
The manual gave some postcsript examples to switch it to other speed
modes and there were two dip switches on the back with aid of these you
can force a 2400 Bd mode (or 1200). helpful if you do not remember how
it was setup last (the status page will tell you...)
I also used to set the serial speed to 57600 with some tricks from
/etc/printcap, but all that is 5-7 years back. The printer (now broken)
returned as an organ transplant donor for my QMS PS 810 and soon will
serve that purpose. Maybe I've still the manual floating around. If you
need further help contact me direct, I need to search my old
documentation for further hints.

Juergen