List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Modem Problem
From:       Stephen Allewell <stephen () mirramar ! fsnet ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-03-11 18:29:30

Jyry Kuukkanen wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Clois Beckwith wrote:
>
> > I have an ISA modem on COM 3 port and with an interrupt address 3e8.
> > Works fine when in Windows, but  when  I boot into Suse 6.4,  it is not
> > recognized.   I have modified the  Rc.config file to TTYS0, 1, and 2
> > and  still it is not recognized.
> >
> > I  have run the PNPdump and the  ISApnp - no errors.
> >

> > Anything else I might have overlooked?
>
> Hello
>
> You could try:
>
> dmesg|grep tty
>
> Do you seen ttyS2 ?
>
> There were some issues with cua/tty namings with 2.2x kernels, too, that
> might cause confusion in your case.
>
> If possible, it might also be helpful to install Suse 7.3 as it has
> much better modem setup routine than 6.4.

Check the IRQ value for the modem card.  Mine is also on TTYS2
(COM 3) where the default IRQ is 4, however the modem card
requires IRQ 5.  In /etc/init.d/serial uncomment the line
'run_setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 5' which will initialise the port
on reboots.  Run /etc/init.d/serial from the command line to set
it up initially.

regards

Steve