List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Printing bug
From:       David Herman <ob1 () yifan ! net>
Date:       2002-02-09 2:02:31

Awhile back I posted this problem;

I was able to print the cups printer test pages from YaST2 and KControlCenter
but if I tried printing from kwrite or kmail a new process would start that
used all available cpu time.

the process was

(all on one line in kpm)
gs -dBATCH -dSAFER -dQUIET -dNOPAUSE --r300x300 -sDEVICE-cdj550
-dBitsPerPixel=3 -sOutputFile=|cat >&3 -

After a couple of re-installs I think I tracked the problem down. If I'm
right then I can't believe nobody else on the list has had this problem.

I think there may be a buggy interaction between ghostscript and the
anti-alias fonts setting in KDE. If I set Anti-Aliasing to "on" in KDE then I
can't print from kwrite or kmail ( I get the cpu hog gs process).

If I turn Anti-Aliasing "off" and restart the x server then printing works as
expected.

Can someone verify this behavior or disprove it on their machine?

I use SuSE7.2 pro w/ the must recent kde (2.2.2) & x-free86 (4.2) files from
suse

thanks
dave