List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] 7.3 on Toshiba 5005-S504
From:       David Robertson <der () uklinux ! net>
Date:       2001-11-30 17:46:08

Hi

Took me ages to get 7.3 going - I had real problems with the touch pad.

Do a manual install, as you've found out, and when done, before rebooting,
edit /etc.rc.config to replace the PCMCIA system with "kernel" rather than
"external." I think you can do this with YaST1 - system  administration -
change configuration file. Or just do it manually. You can use the
installation CD to boot into rescue mode: go for manual installation, then
rescue. Then mount your root partition to /mnt and edit /mnt/etc/rc.config
with vi

You can then boot up with no problem.

You will then probably need to sort out usb to get the trackpad to work: you
need to replace the default "uhci" module with "usb-uhci." Again, you can do
this with YaST1, as  above: edit the HOTPLUG_USB_HOSTCONTROLLER_LIST and
remove uhci. I put usb-uhci first but I don't know if that's necessary.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know, but so far, that's as far as
I've got! Everything works fine, but no sound, so if you get a solution to
that, let me know. You can't disable plug and play in the bios (no user
access) and I don't know how to get around that.

Good luck!

David