List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Auto starting programs in X
From:       Geoff <capsthorne () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-30 17:28:01

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 00:52:13 +0000
David <dg@stanwater.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> >I suggest therefore that you do the following :
> >
> >(1) Delete the existing dampsquib .. or make sure that you see a new creation
> >date when next you dial up your ISP.
> >
> >(2) Before you next dial your ISP enter the command <xhost +> You do this as
> >yourself, not as root.  You should see : "access control disabled, clients
can
> >connect from any host".  Root can now access your display and, if we are in
> >luck, the "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display" may go away.
> >
> >(3) Connect to the ISP and re-examine dampsquib.
> >
> No didn't change anything

Just checking ... by "didn't change anything" you mean that dampsquib still
reports
"Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display" - correct?

> It is strange. If I watch the kinternet log and load firestarter when ip-up is

> called it works fine - fathom that!

It seems that ip-up is never completing, even when we move the firestarter stuff
into the ip-up.local script - which is not entirely surprising if there is some
problem starting firestarter from the script.  The easy test for the correctness
of that is to try to log on to your ISP when ip-up.local has failed.  Presumably
you can't and also presumably running ifconfig does not reveal the presence of
ppp0.

> I can't run from user. Firestarter stops me saying I have to be root.

Who owns the firestarter executable?  ls-l /full/path/to/firestarter should give
the answer (second column of the output).  If it is root then you could, as
root, <chmod o+x,u+s /full/path/to/firestarter>. That should allow other users
to run it.  If the owner is not root, then <chown root
/full/path/to/firestarter> and then <chmod o+x,u+s /full/path/to/firestarter>.

> There is
> a problem somewhere, but I sure don't know where. Maybe I will re install it.

I don't suppose that there is any harm in reinstallation - though the cynical
money is on it making no difference.

Finally, you have mentioned Netscape autostarting.  I find that a little odd.
Are you still running kde?  If so, is Netscape in the autoexec group you
identified?  If not, are you sure that you are not just leaving Netscape up when
you exit kde - I think that the state of the system is saved, so it will still
be there when you re-start - but not because it is autostarted.  Make sure that
all instances of Netscape are closed before you exit.

Keep smiling, there *is* a way to do this.

Geoff