List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Re:SuSEfirewall-SuSE 7.2
From:       Ambrosius <ambrosius () mailandnews ! com>
Date:       2001-07-15 6:52:16

On Sunday 15 July 2001 00:32, you ( Brian Marr ) wrote:
> Suse 7.1 kernel 2.4.4 -isdn internet connection - 2PCs. Home LAN.
> I am going through a similar problem.
>
> There is an excellent article at the Suse Portal.
> http://portal.suse.de/en/content.php?3occccccccccccccccccccmcccccccccco
>cccccccococcccccccccccccccc&content/server/fire2.html#3 Despite this I
> am still having some problems, see below. After recompiling the kernel
> for what I thought was Masquerading, I get the following boot message.
> Any suggestions appreciated.
> Brian Marr
>
> Master Resource Control: previous runlevel: N, switching to runlevel: 3
> Starting Firewall Initialization: (phase 1 of 3) (run 2 of 3) modprobe:
> modprobe: Can't locate module ippp0
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ippp0
> Warning: kernel seems not to have got masquerading support!
> ipchains: Protocol not available
> ipchains: Protocol not available
> ipchains: Protocol not available
>
> =========================snip
> ipchains: Protocol not available
> ipchains: setting MASQ timeouts failed: Protocol not available
> ipchains: Protocol not available
> ==========================snip
> ipchains: Protocol not available
> ipchains: Protocol not available
> ipchains: Protocol not available
>
> Enabling ide dma mode: hda hdb hde hdh done
> Starting personal-firewall (initial) [not active] unused
> Initializing random number generator done
> Setting up network device eth0
>  done
> Setting up routing (using /etc/route.conf) done
> Starting Firewall Initialization: (phase 2 of 3) modprobe: modprobe:
> Can't

A quick heads up in the event this applies to you. I am not running 7.2
here. However, I am running 7.1 and kernel 2.4.4 (SuSE). If you are
booting a 2.4.x kernel then I'd reccomend using IP TABLES. It's available
as a package during installation and ya should be able to install it
later via yast (1). Marc has the SuSEFirewall2 package on his page. I
belive the url is: http://www.suse.de/~marc/SuSE.html
There's a link to it on his page. I can vouch that version 1.0  runs well
with SuSE's 2.4.4-4GB kernel. Remember to set the dev_int (usually eth0)
and dev_world/ext (usually ppp0 for 56Kbps or ippp0 for ISDN) variables
correctly. Enable START_FW2, FW_FORWARD, MAS_NETS, and etc as reccomended
in the manual (found in the section "configuring internet". If you do not
have the IP TABLES packages installed it will not work correctly. Your
client machines should have their "default gateway" set to the IP MasQ
machine's internel IP address. Their DNS server entries should be your
Service Providers DNS addys as well as the gateway machine. I'm rambling
and this email is getting longwinded so I'll close by adding that if ya
need further help please feel free to email me directly
ambrosius@mailandnews.com) and I'll be happy to provide copies of my
firewall configuration, and etc.

Ambrosius
- --