List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] How close is SuSE 7.2 to LSB?
From:       dep <dennispowell () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2001-07-02 1:53:05

On Wednesday 27 June 2001 02:50 pm, StarTux wrote:
| Just got round to reading deps nice article on Linuxplanet (cannot
| believe he tried that GCC/glibc upgrade...Tried that once and it
| failed to compile and I did something else instead, glad I did
| that!)

what blew me away in surprise was that going from 2.1 to 2.2 was
entirely effortless, so i was not expecting any problems going from
2.2 to 2.2.3. (though backward compatibility has scarcely been a
strength in things linux for some time. there are good arguments both
for doing everything possible to be backward compatible and for
damning the torpedoes, full speed ahead. but i think that something
that breaks stuff probably deserves a full minor version number kick
upwards.)

| I remember hearing awhile ago how close 7.0 or 7.1 was to the LSB,
| is there going to be another comparison soon?
|
| If dep is on the list still, did you try checking out the
| portal.suse.com site? I have found it occaisonly useful. But "why"
| were this problems happening?

i'm still here (though digging through *lots* of mail, having been
out of town for five days), and no, i haven't, but shall. as to
paralleling the lsb -- it certainly seems to follow the fhs as to
/etc/opt, which lots of distros don't; i still haven't figured out
what /var/X11R6 is about, though -- except that it causes me to
shrink in terror when pondering a peek at the xfree cvs tree. i
surely do hope that a solid and sensible lsb is truly settled upon,
and that distributions follow it -- it would make things a lot easier
for people coming to linux, and for people moving among distributions
(as, for instance, the current mass migration from caldera to suse,
which is probably sufficiently extensive that a little faq or howto
that explains the systemic differences would be useful). there's an
alternative caldera list, not unlike the <ot> list spawned from here,
that is largely distribution agnostic, the subject being where do we
go from here. most of the discussion has had to do with suse, the
general notion being that it's probably the distro friendliest to
caldera refugees who don't want do wander down some of the blind
alleys that other distros who shall not be named have taken.

--
dep

there's more to history than what's in books;
that's why it took so long to happen.