List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Upgrade to 7.2 breaks KDE!
From:       Kaare Rasmussen <kar () webline ! dk>
Date:       2001-06-28 15:46:13

I upgraded 7.1 to 7.2 and now I find myself unable to run KDE :-(

When I ran 7.1, I upgraded KDE to 2.1.2 from SuSE's ftp server. Maybe
this is the problem, but what can I do?

I tried to uninstall and reinstall all kde-* packages and all qt-*
packages with no luck :-(

Here's what is happening according to .X.err:

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse[1]" (type: MOUSE)
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = ksplash path = <unknown>
DCOPServer up and running.
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kcminit path = <unknown>
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = knotify path = <unknown>
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-16143' to 'knotify'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = kinternet path = <unknown>
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-16146' to 'kinternet'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = ksmserver path = <unknown>
^M
waiting for X server to shut down kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
(II) NEOMAGIC(0): Not programming shadow registers

^M

Of course there's more at the top, but this is what it tells about kde.
Does it give a clue to the problem?