List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] odd error in konsole and virtual terminal
From:       Graham Smith <gqs () zip ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-06-23 8:06:40

On 23-Jun-2001 Timothy R.Butler wrote:
> Hi dep!
>   What a plesant surprise to see that you joined the SuSE Linux list!
> Welcome
> aboard!
>
>> suse-7.2, all seems fine, but after login and when in a konsole in
>> kde i get this error:
>>
>> [: missing `]'
>> /bin/ksh: ]: No such file or directory
>>
>> the functioning of the system doesn't seem affected in any way, but
>> this looks potentially troubling. following the error, i get an
>> ordinary bash prompt.
>>
>> anybody know how i acquired this and how to fix it?

Hi,

I had this problem. It is caused by that dam text editor in KDE wrapping at
line 79 when you modified /etc/profile. My system at home is still running
6.3 so I'm not sure of the line number but the error is towards the end
of the file.

The line that looks like this should be on the same line. (This is the one
from SuSE 6.3 but should be very similar).

if [ "$SHELL" = "/usr/bin/pdksh" -o "$SHELL" = "/usr/bin/ksh" -o "$SHELL" =
"/bin/ksh" ]; then

But the first thing to do is either stop using the KDE 'Text Editor' or
change the options to turn off the text wrapping off.

Don't know who deamed this to be default option but they should be shot. As I
find the Text Editor more usable than the advanced editor as at least you can
change the font size to something usable.

Regards,

Graham Smith