List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    OT-Blown my BIOS- Panic Over!
From:       Terence McCarthy <saki () cwcom ! net>
Date:       2000-01-01 1:13:55

Hello All,

Just to thank those who provided suggestions for the solution to my trashed
Award BIOS, and to tell the list how I recovered, in the hope that it may be
of use to others.

First, the important thing about the Award BIOS chip is that there is a part
of the chip which is "hard wired" with a mini-prog that looks first for a
valid BIOS set on the chip. If that fails it looks for a bootable (dos/Win)
disk in the floppy drive.

If it finds one then it boots, and the BIOS chip can then be flashed using
either an updated BIOS or, better, the original. The only problem is that
because of the memory restraints (I believe) of the chip, the only video
output is through a ISA video card.

I was lucky- my friendly local computer shop found me a Trident card for £5
"if it still works" (I was unlucky in that I'd thrown away an S3 card only a
couple of months ago believing that I'd never have a need for it......).

So, here is one very relieved SuSE user, grateful yet again for the expertise
and helpfulness of those on the list. My you never blow away your BIOS!

If anyone would like more details please mail me.

Terence