List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] Support vs Support (Was: [SLE] util-linux and Kernel 2.4.3)
From:       Jerry Kreps <jerrykreps () jlkreps ! net>
Date:       2001-04-24 4:09:47

On Monday 23 April 2001 21:34, Rafael E. Herrera wrote:
<snip>
> I use 2.4.x on a 7.0 system. I had problems with the VIA chipset,
> but none  from the init system. People's hardware varies a lot, what may work
> you/me may not work for me/you.

<snip>

I have two PC's here at home.   SuSE has always slipped onto the
5 year old Sony VAIO (P166 -64MB) like a silk glove.  My new
Beast, on the other hand, fights SuSE like it was possessed with
the spirit of Bill Gates.

One of the problems is the VIA chipset, and I've yet to hear of any
successful BIOS upgrade being successfully burned in.
The newest 2.4.x  kernel is supposed to have a kernel workaround,
but I'm not moving to the 2.4 kernel until SuSE makes it their primary
kernel.    I doubt there are many newbies who could get SuSE to install
on my Beast without getting bite by something.

In fact, if I had not been using SuSE for 4 years, and as my only OS for
1 1/2 years, I would not have had the knowledge and skill to install it.
As I used to tell my Engineering Physics students, "Everything is easy
once you know how", but learning how takes time.  Merely saying how
easy something is to do doesn't teach HOW to those who don't KNOW how
to do it.  I would have given up and installed about any version of WinXX.
The VIA chip, the AC97 sound chip, the wheel mouse, the r128 video card,
the  cdrw and the zip250 were all bears to install and even now I am simply
using the cdrw as a cd because of the VIA problem.

The Beast is running, although not exactly as I would like it.    Were I to spec
the Beast again I would require all storage perhiperals to be scsi, and I
wouldn't use the ATI  r128 or the wheel mouse.

People with machines like my Sony don't need 'installation help".  People
with machines like my Beast can't be helped by support staff unless the
support person is physicall setting at the machine. There are too many
subtle problems and disjoints with the hardware and software for a newbie
to adequately describe the problems to a support staff.

Most people own machines between my Sony and my Beast.  Some can be
helped.  The trick SuSE has to learn is to figure out which ones can be helped
without making all of them angry or insulting the ones they can't help.

This thread demostrates a lot of frustration, some by SuSE staff but most by
SuSE's customers.    SuSE would do well to listen.... carefully.