List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] MS: IT'S WAR ON 'HOSTILE CODE'!
From:       Jerry Kreps <jerrykreps () jlkreps ! net>
Date:       2001-04-18 2:41:09

On Saturday 14 April 2001 20:11, Peter Vertes wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2001 11:30 am, Jerry Kreps wrote:
> > Doubtful, unless they adopt Linux as their OS  :-)  or pigs learn
> > to fly. JLK
>
>    You are going to laugh but all of the hotmail servers are
> running Solaris. They tried to switch them to NT but the machines
> started to crumple under the heavy loads so they gave up.

I heard that!    And then they lie their pants off by advertizing
'enterprise solutions' that don't have to be touched  (get this !)
for DAYS.    I have a SuSE 6.4 running as a BBS at work that
has been up since last September without a crash.

> AND there used to be a machine called linux.microsoft.com that had a
> default Redhat Apache page running on it. Believe it or not they
> are experimenting on writting Office of Linux.  They are also
> releasing stuff that will help Linux integration with their .NET
> strategy but that would be a big no thank you on my part :)
>
> -Pete

There are a lot of programmer being lulled into the .NET fiasco.
I haven't seen or heard of a single business that would be willing to
let Microsoft keep their data on a .NET.  Especially considering how
exposed Microsoft's servers have been demonstrated to be.
The Russian Crackers OWN Microsoft.com  and government
entities and those that do business with government entities wouldn't
allow data storage where the site is not physically and electronically
secure.  Were I to peruse IRS data I would have to record the names
of anyone who even walked by my cubical on the outside chance that
from 15 feet away they could be able to discern tax data.  It's that
kind of paranoia from the IRS, in response to THEIR OWN abuse of
file privacy that  resulted in us not using IRS data anymore.  There is
NO WAY anyone with even partial amounts of IRS data could use .NET.
Besides, considering how many Windows boxes it takes to create a
website that can take the load without crumbling, consider how many
they would have to have if millions were required to long into a website
in order to run Office.    Amazing.  Bill is slipping...
JLK