List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    aic7xxx not detected
From:       fx Fraipont <fxf () skynet ! be>
Date:       2000-01-01 14:08:48

My Adaptec Scsi card is not detected anymore. I get this message during
boot:

"Atapi device hdd"
"error - bot ready - sense key = 0x02"
"(reserved error code " {thanks guys, this really helps} "-- asc=0x30,
 asco=ax01)"
 "The failed "read cd/dvd capacity" packet was "25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00
 00 00 00 "

 I should explain that I have an IDE DVD on hdc, and an IDE CD writer on

 hdd; scsi emulation is enabled,; and the two drives have been working
fine for quite some time.

 So I booted on the SuSE DVD, aborted the installation,  chose "load
modules", selected the AIC7XXX scsi module, and  got an error message,
complaining that the  module could not be loaded, followed by the very
same
message I quoted earlier, which appears on every boot. After which the
module is loaded anyway (I checked with: "check loaded modules" or
whatever the command is. And the scanner works. But if I reboot, all is
lost (I mean, the Scsi card...).

Scsi emulation works fine, I can burn CD's.

But why isn't the Scsi card detected anymore, and what can I do to load
it?

Thanks

FX

--