List:       suse-linux-e
Subject:    Re: [SLE] good backup solution
From:       Greg Thomas <ethant () pacificnet ! net>
Date:       2000-11-30 19:31:45

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Arjen Runsink wrote:

> On Monday 27 November 2000 16:40, Vincent De Keersmaeker wrote:
>
> > anything of linux), and it should work with tapestreamers as well.  Arkeia
> > could have been a nice solution, but as far as i know, it only works with
> > dat's and not tapesteamers, and taper it to complex (say to dos-alike) for
> > the endusers.anybody any other idea's?
>
> ARKEIA can use all kinds of tape streamers ( at least the latest one) IIRC.

Beware that ARKEIA's only disaster recovery mechanism is outside of it's
software.  One has to tar up the index files directory from disk to a
separate tape.  If you don't have these files backed up on a different
tape with a standard format your ARKEIA tapes will be useless in case of
complete loss of a disk.

This was the case with the versions up until 6 months ago when I stopped
using ARKEIA.  Their website stated that future versions would be able to
restore the indexes from a fresh install of ARKEIA.

Greg