List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] kmail configuration with DE Language
From:       Anton Aylward <opensuse () antonaylward ! com>
Date:       2020-08-05 14:41:39

On 05/08/2020 06:45, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> AFAIK, you (normally) do not change the language of an application, you change the
> entire desktop.

In my databaseofdotsigquotes:

	That's what I love about GUIs:
	They make simple tasks easier, and complex tasks impossible.
	  -- John William Chambless

And you can also say this about GUIS:

	... it is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness
	of them by the sense of achievement you get from getting
	them to work at all.  In other words... their fundamental
	design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial
	design flaws.
        -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, on the products
           of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

Now if it were the command line you could set, just for that one command the
LANGUAGE environment variable and any other environment settings needed.
Hence you CAN change the language of a single application.

But as you say, with a desktop. you have to change the whole thing.
Now is that a superficial feature or a fundamental feature?

--
Where we cannot invent, we may at least improve.
         -- Charles Caleb Colton