List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Re: Plasma 5.19 Digital Clock
From:       Will Stephenson <wstephenson () suse ! de>
Date:       2020-02-18 13:03:05

On 14/02/2020 23:12, Wolfgang Bauer wrote:
> Am Freitag, 14. Februar 2020, 22:39:56 schrieb Achim Gratz:
> TBH, why would anyone add it in the first place?
>
> Personally I never saw a use for that and didn't want it to be turned on on my
> systems ever.
> (mainly because I do want to be able to paste things to the desktop, e.g.)

There's a continuum from Power User<->Supervised user<->Kiosk user.

I guess you're at the left end of that spectrum, Kiosk users have the
config locked down at a file level since KDE 2 times (and the UI changes
to reflect that, but there is a use case in the middle for allowing
unauthenticated changes via the UI, but having a safety lock to prevent
unintentional changes.

Krita had a dockwindow UI lock and removed it lock a few releases ago
because they couldn't make it discoverable and were sick of bug reports,
and now Plasma has followed suit.  I used it for my kids, who manage to
unintentionally destroy their Krita UI with a clumsy tap about once per
session. It will remain to be seen whether they now start trashing their
desktop layout too (although I could still poke it locked with an env.sh
file...).

Will

--
Will Stephenson

SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nürnberg,
Germany
GF: Felix Imendörffer (HRB 36809, AG Nürnberg)