List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] difference between kde_plasma and kde
From:       George from the tribe <tech () reachthetribes ! org>
Date:       2017-06-17 13:51:10

> * George from the tribe <tech@reachthetribes.org> [01-01-70 12:34]:
>> The other day on my new system, I was running gnome and decided to install
>> kde, or so I thought. So I installed the kde_plasma pattern using zypper:
>>
>> zypper in -t pattern kde_plasma
>>
>> Then I was able to log into kde and got everything configured. Things were
>> working fine.
>>
>> But I noticed that certain applications weren't there, like kcalc, and
>> gwenview, and other things that I thought were standard for kde.
>>
>> So I did a zypper search, and found that I had not installed the pattern
>> called "kde". So I then ran
>>
>> zypper in -t pattern kde
>>
>> And now I have all those other applications that am used to.
>>
>> All this came about because when I did the initial install from the
>> installation dvd, I selected gnome instead of kde as my desktop.
>>
>> So my question is, what is the difference between the kde and kde_plasma
>> patterns in the repositories? Is it just that the kde pattern is all the
>> standard applications, while the kde_plasma is the desktop without most of
>> the applications?
>

> zypper if patterns-kde-kde_plasma patterns-kde-kde

Ok, I ran those commands. I won't post all the results here, but in
summary, it is as I thought, the kde_plasma pattern is basically the
pattern that includes what is necessary to run X, some basic
applications, and other base line stuff. But the full suite of
applications, mostly written in qt (I think), that make KDE powerful are
in the pattern "kde", which has to be installed separately.

I am curious as to why these are separate? Perhaps there are some people
that would want to have the plasma5 desktop, but would not want all the
KDE applications, preferring to use gnome applications or some other
suite? Interesting that it is set up this way.

--
George
Box:       42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB