List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Plasma 5.8 and openSUSE 42.2
From:       Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel () suse ! de>
Date:       2016-07-27 14:46:11

Raymond Wooninck schrieb:
> On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 15:56:16 CEST Antonio Larrosa wrote:
>>
>> This mean bringing forward some kde release dates and postponing some
>> openSUSE pre-releases to make everything fit tightly:
>>
>> Following that schedule means that openSUSE 42.2 would be released
>> including 5.8.1.
>
> In my opinion one important point is being overlooked. We have a LTS version
> for Plasma, but as far as I know we do not have LTS versions for Frameworks
> nor Applications.
>
> So we should first discuss and align the maintenance strategy before even
> discussing the version of these components. Would it be possible to update the
> Frameworks, Plasma and Application components in Leap 42.2 through the normal
> maintenance channels (like we have been doing a couple of times for Leap
> 42.1), or is the maintenance for 42.2 now restricted to pure bugfixes and
> versions of packages should be kept at the same level as the release ??

Good point. Leap's message is to prefer working components over the
latest and greatest and I'd wish that it's default desktop would
somehow reflect that spirit too. As such switching to a Plasma LTS
release fits the story well. However, planning to have a kind of buggy
default desktop and to release an online update for it right when we
release 42.2 doesn't. Therefore I'd like to have e.g 5.8.1 on GM if that
has the most obvious bugs fixed already. I'd probably rather move some
milestone than shipping .0.
The update channel technically does not forbid version updates. Still
we have to keep the use case of Leap in mind. Therefore I'd rather
not repeat such KDE version updates as we had in 42.1. Esp intrusive
ones that add new packages, obsolete others and cause build failures
etc. So if Plasma, Framework or Applications are developed and
released independently, maybe upstream needs to sit together and
come up with Framework and Applications releases that fit the Plasma
LTS one. All three components together form KDE and the impression
people get from it after all. Since we promote KDE as default
desktop the impression does rub off on Leap. So it better be a good
one.

cu
Ludwig

--