List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Plasma 5.8 and openSUSE 42.2
From:       šumski <hrvoje.senjan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-07-26 20:59:35

On Tuesday 26 of July 2016 15:56:16 Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> [...]
> openSUSE Leap releases:
>
> https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5
> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Roadmap
>
> The main part of the current schedules is:
>
> 2016-08-25: openSUSE 42.2 Beta 1
> 2016-09-15: KDE 5.8 Repo Freeze
> 2016-09-21: openSUSE 42.2 Beta 2 - Package freeze
> 2016-09-29: KDE 5.7.95 LTS (5.8.0 Beta)
> 2016-10-06: openSUSE 42.2 RC1
> 2016-10-13: KDE 5.8.0 LTS Release
> 2016-10-18: openSUSE 42.2 RC2
> first week of November 2016: openSUSE 42.2 Release
>
> As you see, there's quite bad timing in there.
> I've talked with some plasma developers and Ludwig separately trying to
> move both schedules around in a way that could make it possible to get
> 5.8.0 in openSUSE 42.2.
>
> I have a proposal that I think (and hope) that will satisfy everyone so
> I think it's time to move this forward to all involved parties. In that
> sense, I wrote a very similar mail to the plasma developers and will
> send it at the same time than this one. I hope you like the proposal and
> note that I've tried to keep in mind the needs of each project
> (QtCon/Akademy dates and the desire to have a stable Plasma release on
> one side, SUSECon/SLE12SP2/other dates and the desire to have a stable
> openSUSE release on the other).
>
> This mean bringing forward some kde release dates and postponing some
> openSUSE pre-releases to make everything fit tightly:
>
> 2016-09-01: openSUSE 42.2 Beta 1 (this would include the last Plasma
> release available at that time, 5.7.4 or 5.7.5)
> 2016-09-08: Plasma 5.8 Repo Freeze (last day of Akademy, maybe that
> could be moved to freeze the repo just before QtCon?)
> 2016-09-15: Plasma 5.7.95 LTS (aka 5.8.0 Beta)
> 2016-09-21: openSUSE 42.2 Beta 2 - Package freeze (with 5.7.95)
> 2016-09-29: Plasma 5.8.0 LTS Release
> 2016-10-06: openSUSE 42.2 RC1 (with Plasma 5.8.0)
> 2016-10-11: Plasma 5.8.1 LTS
> 2016-10-18: openSUSE 42.2 RC2 (most probably including Plasma 5.8.1 if
> bugs found and depending on the size of changes)
> 2016-10-18: Plasma 5.8.2 LTS
> 2016-11-01: Plasma 5.8.3 LTS
> First week of November 2016: openSUSE 42.2 Release
>
> Following that schedule means that openSUSE 42.2 would be released
> including 5.8.1.
>
> This would mean too that we (can I include myself as a kde packager too?
>
> :) ) would have less time to package KDE releases for 42.2 and less time
>
> to test them too since some openSUSE betas would be postponed but RC1
> and RC2 would stay at the same dates. Ludwig also mentioned he's willing
> to shift the Leap schedule a bit more if needed, but for now, the
> proposal is what's stated above.
>
> So, my question is, would you agree with that? Anybody sees any problem
> if both projects agree to those changes to their respective schedules?
>
> Please, keep in mind that both projects have needs and requirements, but
> it would be great to find one solution that benefits both of us and for
> that, both projects have to give in a little.

I agree also with Raymond. For Plasma IMO is not essential to have 5.8 already
in final; we should be able to roll  5.8.1 or .2 into :Update though. (Indeed
having it with Leap final would be better, but not that big deal if we miss
it).

For KF5 most likely at least a few releases after 42.2 release should be in
good shape to go into :Update.
Later on i'm not optimistic about Plasma compat (e.g. there's an ongoing bug
with plasma-framework 5.24 & Plasma 5.6.x wrt missing tray icons).

Wrt Applications i can't say; most apps (PIM excluded - i'm still on pre-
akonadi PIM, so can't say how are things going there). in recent times don't
suffer from (heavy) regressions, so i guess we can see what to do with that.

Cheers,
Hrvoje