List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Plasma 5.8 and openSUSE 42.2
From:       Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-07-26 14:40:18

Hi Antonio,

On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 15:56:16 CEST Antonio Larrosa wrote:

> This mean bringing forward some kde release dates and postponing some
> openSUSE pre-releases to make everything fit tightly:
>
> Following that schedule means that openSUSE 42.2 would be released
> including 5.8.1.

In my opinion one important point is being overlooked. We have a LTS version
for Plasma, but as far as I know we do not have LTS versions for Frameworks
nor Applications.

So we should first discuss and align the maintenance strategy before even
discussing the version of these components. Would it be possible to update the
Frameworks, Plasma and Application components in Leap 42.2 through the normal
maintenance channels (like we have been doing a couple of times for Leap
42.1), or is the maintenance for 42.2 now restricted to pure bugfixes and
versions of packages should be kept at the same level as the release ??

Without the above it would be hard to determine how to proceed. If we can
update the KDE components to newer versions, then we do not have to push and
squeeze ourselves to get a particular version in.

If the maintenance channel would be closed for functonality and/or version
upgrades, then we need to decide on which version for Frameworks, Plasma and
Applications we want to have in Leap 42.2 given the release schedule. This
would also mean that a lot of work might come towards a very small team as
that fixes in newer releases need to be backported against the older version,
which sometimes might not even be possible.

Regards

Raymond