List:       suse-kde
Subject:    [opensuse-kde] Re: Repeatedly having to restart akonadi server after 13.2 upgrade - RESOLVED
From:       Dennis Gallien <dwgallien () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-04-29 20:12:26

On Thu, Apr 21 04:10:19 PM Dennis Gallien wrote:
> Before the update, I would occasionally get the folder lock up problem
> caused by the akonadi server (once or twice every couple days) that
> requires the server to be restarted (or log out/log in).
>
> Following my 13.2 upgrade, the problem has become much, much worse.
> Repeatedly when I click on a message in a folder (read or unread), the
> folder locks and I get the green Kmail wait screen.  At least in the past
> the condition would sometimes correct itself after a while and free the
> folder; not any longer, I am now forced to restart the server every time.
>
> When I do the server restart, I always get about 50 error messages in the
> mysql error log like this . . .
>
> 160421 15:08:48 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table
> 'mysql.servers' doesn't exist
> 160421 15:08:48 [Warning] Can't open and lock time zone table: Table
> 'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without them
> 160421 15:08:48 [ERROR] Native table 'performance_schema'.'cond_instances'
> has the wrong structure
> 160421 15:08:48 [ERROR] Native table
> 'performance_schema'.'events_waits_current' has the wrong structure
> 160421 15:08:48 [ERROR] Native table
>
> etc.

I'm sending this reply to both the kde and user lists as there have been many
kmail/akonadi issues posted on both, and what I found may be useful
for kmaill users on both lists . . .

My plan was to delete all akonadi related files, have the server rebuild them,
manually re-populate the account resources, and re-link the mail store
directory to the Local Folders resource.

Before doing that, I created a full kmail backup with pimsettingsexporter. and
for safety sake attempted to create an archive file with the kmail folder
archive function.

"Attempted" only because the folder archive function failed.  Working this
problem I stumbled on to what was causing kmail to lock up requiring a server
restart:  bad message data in some of the folders.

The folder archive process will fail when it encounters a message it cannot
process.  All the user gets is a terse message saying just that, along with
the folder name.

In the incomplete archive file I could locate the problem folder and the number
of messages successfully retrieved before the failing message.  In kmail,
permanently deleting messages including the likely "bad" message (typically
required several iterations), finally enabled the archive process to complete
for that folder.  This was necessary in 6 of my ~50 local folders.

Before proceeding with rebuilding akonadi, in kmail I noticed I could click on
a message and kmail did not lock up.  I've been rigorously testing this for 2
days and have not had one single lock up.

Note that the lock ups did not occur by trying to access a "bad" message.  In
fact, it happened clicking on a good message in a folder without any problem.
Any folder.  It seems that just the presence of the bad messages in some
folders can create a condition which subsequently causes kmail and/or akonadi
to lock up.

I cannot say whether the problem would have resolved if, after rebuilding the
akonadi fileset, I had re-linked to my existing mail store or created a new one
from the pimsettingsexporter file - the bad messages would have still been
there.  Nor is there any way I could find that informs the user what makes a
message "bad" in this sense.

As far as all the "performance schema" errors thrown by mysql, those are all
red herrings and should not even be in the error file; they are near certainly
bogus and should be ignored.  (Side point: running akonadictl start in the
terminal is informative and shows the database tables being checked; these
error messages are unrelated.)

Hopefully some of this information is useful.

Thank much to those who replied with suggested solutions.

--dg