List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] plasmoids messed after log in or plasma crash
Date:       2016-04-20 6:56:08

Am 17.04.2016 um 23:14 schrieb Lindsay Mathieson:
> On 18/04/2016 3:40 AM, Malte Gell wrote:
>> Using 42.1 with current updates (that means Plasma 5.5.5) my plasmoids
>> on the desktop are messed when I do a fresh KDE log in.
>>
>> I have places some widgets / plasmoids on the desktop that show system
>> information like temperature, CPU usage etc.
>>
>> Whenever plasma crashes or I do a new login, the plasmoids are messed
>> and not at their place any more...
>

> Its been a ongoing issue for me regards of crashes or normal logouts
> since the 4.x days, I don't bother with widgets anymore. Just one of
> those plasma goodies which is never finished enough to be useful.
>
> I did suspect it was related to multiple monitor setups - plasma/kde
> seems to resize and swap monitor setups around a fair bit before it
> finishes starting up.

I may have found a workaround.
The position and stuff for the widgets seem to be stored in
~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

And the simple workaround is to make a backup of this configuration file
and in case of messed widgets, just restore that backup!

I think I īll map this as a command to a keyboard shortcut, Plasma5
messes too often....

hth