List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] elarun splash with KDM?
From:       Wolfgang Bauer <wbauer () tmo ! at>
Date:       2015-08-06 11:13:40

Am Dienstag, 21. Juli 2015, 19:36:56 schrieb Felix Miata:
> Any time I've used a GUI tool to touch kcmrc, the result has been all the
> rpm version's comments get stripped out, to be followed eventually by
> normal updates replacing the file.
I think that happens if you use the systemsettings module to change the
config.
Reinstalling the kdm package should recreate the config file *with* the
comments (and keep the modifications) IIRC.

> So I long ago took to creating a symlink
> to its parent in the /etc/ tree, doing my edit under the symlink, then then
> setting kdmrc immutable. Why isn't kdmrc already installed somewhere in
> /etc/, where, under FHS, admin customizations normally belong?

Well, I cannot answer you why the config is in /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/
instead of /etc/, but I don't see how this is related either.
The same would happen if it was located in /etc/.

> I don't see Plastik selectable anywhere in the K5 installation on the host
> that lead to this thread.

It is available here, in systemsettings5->(Appearance->)Application Style-
>Window Decoration. And as mentioned, I think it is part of kwin5 itself.
You might have to resize/maximize the window to see the available decorations.

There is no "Look and Feel" package for Plastik though, that's where you
looked probably.

> In KDE3 settings on this host, I don't find any
> way to get the RGB value of its default so as to be able to select it by
> #HTML/RGB on the colors tab.
>
> >> I don't see a color scheme I like a whole lot,
> >> but it looks like Oxygen Cold might suffice. The default in 13.1's KDE3
> >> is
> >> excellent, a slate-blue hue.
> >
> > You can change single colors too, exactly like in KDE4. Just switch to the
> > "Color Selection" tab.
>
> To actually match the color I want, I need to locate its #HTML/RGB
> definition somehow.
>
> > And the settings module even allows you to download color schemes from the
> > Internet.
>
> In the past I've always managed to find a satisfactory scheme among
> defaults. The (upstream default) Breeze doesn't provide anything I can live
> with.

So? There are other color schemes shipped by default. Some of them (the 3
openSUSE specific ones) are in the package plasma5-workspace-branding-openSUSE
though.

> The color I like (here in 13.1/KDE3):
> http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/KDE/defTheme131KDE3.jpg

Well, then set it... ;-)
As mentioned, you can override specific colors from the color scheme.

And IMHO you don't really need the exact RGB code. Just select a color you
like in the color selection dialog.

Or you can find out the exact RGB code in KDE3's settings too.
Open the "Colors" settings, click on the titlebar in the picture (or choose
"Active Title Bar" in the "Widget Color" chooser), and click on the color
button below to open the color chooser, which will display the values.

> >> Anyone have any insight why for the Colors tab the apparent blacks are
> >> not
> >> in fact black (#000000) rather than nearly black (#141312)?
> >
> > I don't understand you.
> > On my system, if I set black on the Colors tab, it is black, not "nearly
> > black".
> >
> > What do you mean with that?
>
> On the colors tab, clicking on an apparently black (View Text) select
> rectangle produces a detailed select color window that reports the #HTML/RGB
> color values. Black is 0,0,0, but the reported values for black in Breeze
> are #31363b/49,54,59; in Oxygen Cold #141312/20,19,18. Both will seem black
> (to most people?), but only until actual black can be compared (nearby). To
> get genuine black (as genuine as any display can produce), either "0"s need
> to be typed in or scrolled to, or the upper left needs to be selected from
> the 6 row/8 column basic colors select group.

So, what's the problem?

Is it that difficult to enter 0,0,0? Or choose "Black" in the color chooser
(the first color in the top-left below "Basic colors", or by setting the
"intensity" slider to 0)?

You didn't choose "Black", but you chose to configure the "View Text" color,
which just isn't black in those themes.
That's how those themes are designed, and I'm pretty sure KDE3 includes themes
that don't have black as "View Text" either.

Again, choose another theme that suits you, or override single colors with
your preferences.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang