List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Logout script
From:       Alvin Beach <alvinbeach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-01-14 16:00:58

Hello Ian,

I have done the same thing, except, the script I have in ~/.kde4/shutdown runs my rsync script in a
konsole. This allows me to see that backup executing. The added bonus is if I decide to abort the
backup (e.g. logging out due to having updated KDE), I press Ctrl+C which aborts the backup and
continues with the log out.

My script in ~/.kde4/shutdown looks like this:

  #!/bin/sh

  # This is one line in my script. Breaking onto two lines due to line wrapping in Thunderbird
  konsole --nofork --hide-menubar --hide-tabbar --geometry "1680x1050+0+0" \
     -e /usr/local/sbin/backup.sh

  exit 0

Where /usr/local/sbin/backup.sh is my script that runs rsync. I imaging you can replace that with
your rsync command.

This runs konsole in a window that is the size as my desktop (e.g. --geometry). The --nofork is
needed to prevent the konsole command from running in background. This will also makes the logout
process wait for konsole to exit (after my backup script exits).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alvin