List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] stop empty floppy drive announcement
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2013-11-14 2:48:23

On 2013-11-14 01:22 (GMT+0100) šumski composed:

> OK. Can you describe what was previous behavior with KDE & floppies, e.g. in
> 12.2? Or what would be desired behavior? Was long ago since i last used
> floppy, so i can't recall.

On same m7ncd host running 12.1/4.9.5, notifier behavior appears identical to
4.11.2 with your freshly built components (total silence in re empty floppy).
I put a disc in the drive, but device notifier remains silent in re floppy.
Its menu has no "file manager" entry, though there is an ungrouped menu line
item "Midnight Commander" I never use, as I run MC in already opened Konsole
and on vttys. Dolphin is not installed.

In 11.0/KDE3 on same host, empty floppy doesn't seem to show up anywhere
except on opening "My Computer" (aka Konq). No activity seems apparent from
inserting a floppy, but eventually, clicking on it in "My Computer" does show
what the floppy contains. This seems quite reasonable behavior to me for such
an ancient device.

In 12.2/KDE4.8.5 on same host, device notifier makes no mention of empty
floppy drive availability, and does not change after disc insertion. Dolphin
seems unable to show me the floppy drive at all.

Windows XP's Explorer lists the drive with or without a disc inserted, and
displays files if a disc is inserted and drive is selected. This seems
equivalent to 11.0/KDE3.

I really don't need to be "notified" that I put a disc in a floppy drive.
Either I did, or I didn't. I already know. For device notifier to
unconditionally ignore a floppy drive seems very reasonable. More
sophistication for newer devices that offer better communication is
reasonable too. :-)

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/