List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] stop empty floppy drive announcement
From:       Basil Chupin <blchupin () iinet ! net ! au>
Date:       2013-11-13 8:07:30

On 13/11/13 18:25, C wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
>> As long as people have floppies and CDs and DVDs they need something to
>> access them. Combining DVDs, CDs and floppies, I have well over 3000, and I
>> know people whose libraries are measured with 5 digits.
> I gave up on floppy/CD/DVD RW as long term offline storage when I
> discovered "bit rot".  I had around 600 CDs (several years ago) of
> data stored (personal videos, photos, music, multimedia etc) all burnt
> to CD and/or DVD.  It was all "stored properly" out of the sun, in
> individual jewelbox cases etc. None of it survived more than about 5
> years.  Most was unreadable within 3 years of the burn date.  A couple
> are still valid after 10 or 11 years though... the rare few.
>
> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rot
> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot
>
> Given that the well documented bit/disk rot is a real factor... I
> wonder how many of your 3000 disks have failed... and the people who
> have libraries measured with 5 digits? I hate to think of how much
> data they think is stored safely is long gone.

A good reason to buy what are considered to be the best and not buy el
cheapo CDs or DVDs. And which is why I only buy Verbatim discs[#] (made
in Singapore, Japan, or Taiwan but not elsewhere). I have CDs/DVDs over
10 years old which are perfect.

[#] Look at the site(s) dealing with audio/video media and you will find
that there are 2 mfgers (when the last time I looked) who produced media
worth relying on. Verbatim was one of them.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.2 & kernel 3.12.0-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor