List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Bug Fixing Apper and Testing
From:       Information - General <information () aphofis ! com>
Date:       2013-07-21 3:20:38

Opensuse-KDE-Developer-Interface Testing and Debugging - Scott Couston

On Thu, 2013-07-18 at 10:02 +1000, Information - General wrote:
> --
> Opensuse-KDE-Developer-Interface Testing and Debugging - Scott Couston
>

> On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 15:57 +0200, Markus wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 17. Juli 2013, 07:31:44 schrieb Luca Beltrame:
> >
> > > To be honest, and this is no way dissing the people working on Muon since
> > > they're quite good people, we can consider it once it's done. Switching
> > > *again* without a proper risk/benefit assessment is not going to work too
> > > well.
> >
> > Obviously. That's why my comment wasn't about 13.1 but 13.2.
> >
> Marcus I am happy with the view of APPER not progressing into 13.1 and a
> New GSoC project.
>
> My thought are similar that there is far too much content that had a
> wide range of Bugs we inherit. APPER fails to observe our standard X
> Windows conventions. You cant patch over fundamental problems that start
> for this lack of adherence to X Windows GUI Standards.
>
> My private opinion is that we have too much content that has errors
> across the whole range of projects rather than a standard project that
> has fewer offering that works perfectly from day 1 of Official Release.
>
> Where are offering Swiss Cheese when you should offer Jarlsberg
> cheese..OMH!...I dont mean any disrespect to an country itself...
>
> I think, be starting afresh with maintainable software with maintainable
> conventions a good thing. We got to stop trying to patch up after patch
> up after patch up code that has fundamental adherence to convention and
> fundamental flaws in design.
>
> Happy to test what ever becomes of the packet manager...thanks

I have further thoughts on APPER as a software management tool.
Firstly, I think its a given that none of this code was written to
conform to our current X-Windows standards.

Using APPER as a software management tool is even more frightening for a
development let alone a user perspective as installing software from
APPER launches requests for root authority that are minimised and not
in-focus. A user would not be able to find a minimised and out of focus
plus escalation password minimised, out of focus and underneath the
window in current focus.

As a software Management tool there is a diverse range of selecting
predefined groupings that fit into some grouping candidacy. If I select
'security' in the software manager I'm dumped with a list that comes
from ???? predefined package list.

Here I don't have the opportunity to not show development and debug,
non-32bit related and possibly non dependant listings, nor change of
vendor no ability to keeping the file non-deleted or deleted (clean-up)
afterwards.

In this scenario, the user selects, deselected and deletes software
based on a completely new unstandardised way of managing X-Windows.

The scenario of installing the users selected packages goes through a
trial run to confirm dependency issues at the last state before actual
installation. The user is then presented only with cut and paste memory
of the details of dependency issues,for the user to deselect or delete a
package on the first selection list but only 1 at a time.

Many dependency issues found in 'simulated runs' are solved one at a
time per simulated run. If the user gets past the simulated test for
dependency, auto associated dependant package appears in a huge list;
mostly to install ever 32-bit version of selected native 64bit software.

Well may we say, 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save apper
from patch after patch of non conformance to GUI convention we
established in the 11.x...versions...Having just put my foot in my
mouth, I mean no disrespect to Her Majesty and the Royal House of
Windsor..