List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
From:       Nico Kruber <nico.kruber () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-09-19 9:12:37

On Tuesday 18 Sep 2012 15:12:18 Raymond Wooninck wrote:
> Sven is right that people will always tend to spend their time on the
> area/repo that they are using as that changes there directly affects them.

guilty as charged ;)

and this is the reason we should keep the number of repos to maintain down a
bit

Additionally, OBS currently doesn't offer an easy way to compare whole
repositories with each other or get notified of base package changes.
E.g. merging back the changes from KR49 into KDF is a rather big manual task
and at the moment I don't have an overview of the packages that still differ.
E.g. Last month, I updated digikam in KR49 but didn't push it to KDF because
the merge was happening already. However, it was not pushed there and someone
else updated it in KDF leaving a conflict and unnecessary double work.

Same if someone else pushed a patch into KDS - I wouldn't be aware of that and
would only be when I try to merge something into KDS.

So, at the moment, it would be important to fix every package in KR49 to be a
(fixed) link to KDF. Development would then only happen in KDF and KR49 links
will be updated after a new KDE 4.x release, right?
Intermediate patches in KR49 should only be accepted on a per-case basis.

This way, as long as KR49 and KDF share the same KDE base version (4.9.x)
development should only happen in KDF. Otherwise I lose track of the changes
in all the repos.

But we can discuss that at the KDE meeting hopefully taking place next week :)

Nico