List:       suse-kde
Subject:    [opensuse-kde] Creating a 'x86_64/libqt4-32bit-devel' package from parts of the i586/libqt4-devel' p
From:       Claus Christmann <claus.christmann () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2012-03-23 20:04:27

Good Afternoon

While fighting a '32bit-compile-on-64bit-system' fight I noticed that
there are no .so symlinks for the Qt libraries in /usr/lib/, there are
only the libQt*.so.? symlinks which can be created with ldconfig.
Normally the package libqt4-devel provides those .so links. However,
on a x86_64 setup, libqt4-devel only has the symlinks for /usr/lib64
which makes sense, as the whole 32bit Qt (user) stuff is in
libqt4-32bit, which is not a requirement to have when one installs
libqt4-devel on a x86_64 system.

After I made all the symlinks in /usr/lib by hand, I noticed that the
libqt4-devel package for the i586 systems obviously contained those
symlinks (among some other stuff).

So here is my question:
Could "somebody" make a x86_64/libqt4-32bit-devel package by "simply"
(I have no idea how to do this and hence can't really judge if that
indeed is simple...) taking the i586/libqt4-devel package, take out
all the stuff other than /usr/lib/*, and repackaging it as
x86_64/libqt4-32bit-devel?

This would allow people who need to compile Qt projects both for 32
and 64 bit targets to  install that package and safe some typing or
GUI clicking (and even more time when they, like me, don't realize
that this is the reason why CMake's find_library() doesn't return the
expected results... but that's off-topic)

As this is my first post to the list and I don't really know much
about the hole magic around RPM packaging either (so far I've only
been a happy user), I would appreciate any feedback/hint/how-to or
nudge in some (other) direction. Also, please let me know if this list
is not the right place to bring this up.

Thanks for reading my post.

Claus