List:       suse-kde
Subject:    [opensuse-kde] Can I load a KDE panel with my own settings?
From:       Alexander Beck-Ratzka <alexander.beck-ratzka () aei ! mpg ! de>
Date:       2012-03-21 8:34:42

Hi Folks,

it is still not possible to add starter menues by

Kickoff Application Launcher -> Applications

and then right click and select "add to panel" (this operation adds the Kickoff
Application starter to the panel, irrespective the starter menu you have
selected, and the added Kickoff application launcher then open a window where
you can select your deired application to be launched...)

I have opened a bug report on this, but nothing is happening; therefore I am
thinking of a workaround as follows... I am so lucky to have a still working
panel with self created application starter menues (e.g. Eclipse which offers
me different Eclipse releases...) on my laptop at work, and I also have the
configuration file of this panel. So I would be able - at least in principle -
to start a panel on my desktop at home using this configuration file. All what I
need to know is, how can I start a KDE panel with a different configuration file.
Is there ny option which enables this?

Another possiblity might be, that I am changing the panel config file "plasma-
desktop-appletsrc" in $HIOME/.kde/share/config, and the restart KDE without
saving its session during shutdown. How can I do this?

Best wishes

Alexander