List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] 12.2 planning
From:       Markus Slopianka <kamikazow () gmx ! de>
Date:       2012-01-11 17:21:23

Am Mittwoch 11 Januar 2012, 12:57:50 schrieb Will Stephenson:

> * Integrate Plasma Active in openSUSE
> A lot of PA stuff has only been usable using git branches, but these should
> be mostly integrated to make a current version of PA in openSUSE doable by
> know. Since open-slx is our downstream, most of the work is already done.

Is that even possible? AFAIK currently Plasma Active or Plasma Desktop are
exclusive choices as PD is not compatible with kdelibs+PA patches.
Unless something changed in the last two weeks or so, PA3 will be released
together with PD 4.9 with both running on KF5 without requiring special
patches.
Surely KDE upstream will concentrate on PA3, PD 4.9, and KF5, so all further
support work would have to be needed to be done by openSUSE KDE Team.

It may be worthwhile to postpone PA as supported option to 12.3 because of
that.

In https://kamikazow.wordpress.com/2011/12/27/very-short-4-8-first-look-from-
a-users-perspective/ I explored how I feel that Kontact handles notifications
badly as it's often too chatty. Changing a few defaults there is not rocket
science.
If you guys agree on the notifications aspect, I can take care about that.

IMO openSUSE 12.2 should be akin to what 10.3 was: It was released shortly
before KDE 4.0 and delivered the best 3.5.x experience out there. It also
handpicked a few Qt 4 developments like KDE4-based games.
In that spirit 12.2 could ship with Qt 5 and maybe even a few handpicked
Qt5/KF5 applications.

Markus